Position: Network Administrator
Site: MaRS Centre, Toronto
Department: Research IT Infrastructure
Reports To: Senior Manager, Research IT Infrastructure
Salary: Commensurate with level of experience
Hours: 35 hours/week
Status: Full-time, Permanent
Collaborate. Translate. Change Lives. The Ontario Institute for Cancer Research (OICR) Research IT Infrastructure team is looking for a dedicated and energetic team member to help build and support leading-edge technology infrastructure that plays a key role in OICR’s mission to partner with the oncology community to translate cancer research discoveries, transform cancer care to benefit patients, and strengthen the Ontario economy.
Do you have a passion for technology? Do you get excited about working with enterprise class routers, firewalls and switches, 10/40/100G networks, secure Wi-Fi, in support of over 2,000 endpoints, and thousands of collaborators across the globe? Do you know who GTANet, ORION and CANARIE are? If so, we want to hear from you!
OICR is based in the MaRS Centre at 661 University Avenue in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. While long-term flexible working arrangements are still being finalized, we expect Network Administrators will primarily be on-premise, with some opportunity for remote work. Candidates must be based in Ontario, with the ability to commute to/from the MaRS complex as needed, and to participate in an after hours on-call rotation, and to work as needed outside of regular business hours.
Fully vaccinated is defined as having received all of the required doses of a Health Canada approved vaccine and having received the final dose at least 14 days before your employment start date.
As described above, the requirement to be fully vaccinated is subject to the Ontario Human Rights Code. If the candidate is unable to receive the COVID-19 vaccine for a reason protected by the Code, requests for accommodation from the vaccine policy will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about working at OICR here.
What you will be doing:
- Setup and maintenance of all physical and virtual networks in OICR’s on-premises data centres, and in OICR’s cloud based tenancies;
- Provide support to researchers across the institute related to optimizing network performance and security;
- Identify, troubleshoot and resolve network issues;
- Build, automate, configure, deploy, and secure network devices (physical and virtual);
- Develop, implement, and maintain tools to improve network management;
- Identify and apply security patches with a sense of urgency;
- Safeguard sensitive data through the use of appropriate technology (e.g. encryption at rest, and in-transit).
What you need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree, or recognized equivalent in Computer Science or Engineering;
- We will consider candidates with 2 or more years of experience working closely with complex network infrastructure;
- A proven foundation of knowledge in server systems (Linux and Windows) infrastructure;
- Linux, Windows and MacOS operating systems and computer security concepts and practices, and computer network hardware/software protocols and principles;
- Experience with one or more of the following technologies: Cisco, Arista, Aruba, HPE;
- Experience with network management tools and applications such as Nagios, LibreNMS, Ansible, & Zeek;
- Experience with network security tools such as Tenable & Forcepoint;
- Must be able to read, write and speak English fluently;
- Ability to participate in an after hours on-call rotation;
- Very familiar with networking principles and hardware infrastructure;
- You have a passion for problem-solving with a methodical workflow to resolve hardware issues.
Ways to stand out from the crowd:
- Information Security experience and/or certifications;
- Experience working in an academic or research environment;
- Experience supporting a high performance compute infrastructure, grid computing, job scheduling;
- Technically sound from both a hardware and software perspective;
- High level of motivation and a constant need to raise the bar;
- Strong interpersonal skills.
Join us and you will work with some of the brightest minds in cancer research and help us accelerate the development of discoveries for patients around the world while maximizing the economic benefit of this research for the people of Ontario.
OICR is a collaborative, not-for-profit research institute accelerating the development of new cancer research discoveries for patients around the world while maximizing the economic benefit of this research for the people of Ontario. We are dedicated professionals who bring expertise to each of our roles. We are looking for individuals who share our values of excellence, innovation, collaboration, impact, responsibility and community.
Launched in December 2005, OICR is an independent institute funded by the Government of Ontario through the Ministry of Colleges and Universities.
For more information about OICR, please visit the website at www.oicr.on.ca.
CLOSING DATE: Until Filled.
OICR is an inclusive employer dedicated to building a diverse workforce. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates and will accommodate applicants’ needs throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise the Recruiter to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated throughout this process. Information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
The Ontario Institute for Cancer Research thanks all applicants. However, only those under consideration will be contacted.
Resume Format: If you elect to apply, you will need a text or HTML version of your resume so that you can cut and paste it into the application box provided. Before you submit the completed application, you will be asked to attach one or two files to your application. Please attach your resume as a .pdf or .doc file.