Reference #: 831828
Work Location: Delaware County
Position Type: Part-Time
Reports To: Program Director
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Shift: 3 days/wk: 3:30p-5:30p & 1 day/wk: 10:30a-12:30p
Primary Purpose of Job:
Responsible for ensuring the safety of residents by preventing and responding to emergencies in and around the pool.
Essential Job Functions:
- Monitors activities at the pool to prevent accidents.
- Rescues swimmers in danger of drowning.
- Administers First Aid.
- Cautions swimmers regarding unsafe practices and safety hazards; enforces and adheres to pool rules and regulations.
- Follows emergency action plan and procedures established in the event of an emergency.
- Maintains order in the pool and adjoining areas.
- Inspects facilities for cleanliness; completes general pool cleaning and maintenance duties.
- Responsible for the availability and safekeeping of emergency equipment (rescue tubes, backboard, signs and other equipment).
- Determines chlorine content and pH value of water, using water testing kit, and record readings.
- Provides general information on pool operation to swimmers.
- Completes required paperwork.
- Complete additional duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Knowledge of pool equipment and maintenance.
- Knowledge of lifesaving methods and procedures, including first aid and standard resuscitation measures.
- Knowledge of swimming pool sanitation and chlorination systems.
- Skilled in the application of lifesaving techniques.
- Skilled in swimming.
- Ability to react quickly and calmly in emergencies.
- Ability to perform rescue actions, administer first aid and CPR.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required
- Must possess valid lifeguard certification
- At Least 2 years of previous lifeguard experience; preference given to those that have previously worked with the Intellectually/Developmentally Disabled
Must be able to effectively understand, read, write, print legibly, speak and do the following using the English language: read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals; write routine reports and correspondence.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form; ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Computer literacy is not required, but is preferred.
Certificates and Licenses:
Valid lifeguard certification
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is routinely exposed to outdoor weather conditions, water, and water treatment chemicals.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- In the event that unanticipated aggressive behavior manifests from individuals served and de-escalation techniques fail, physical crisis intervention may be required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must regularly swim and be exposed to aqueous environments. The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds with assistance. Specific vision abilities required by this job include Close vision, Distance vision, Peripheral vision, Depth perception and Ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to walk and sit. The employee is regularly required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and taste or smell.
This job description is not intended to provide an all-inclusive listing of related job activities. Incumbent may be requested my management to perform other related activities in place of or in addition to those representative activities noted in this job description. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
We are an equal opportunity employer and consider all applicants without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, disability or handicap, genetic information, veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by applicable law. M/F/D/V
Creating an account will allow you to update your information or apply for other positions without re-entering your information.