The RPN works within a changing environment and in inter-professional teams to advocate for and promote wellness while ensuring the delivery of safe, effective and ethical nursing care.
The RPN shares his/her knowledge and expertise with others and contributes to the advancement of nursing practice excellence. The RN continually enhances his/her practice and competencies through ongoing learning, education, experience and reflective practice.
The primary role of the RPN is to provide holistic, evidence-based, culturally appropriate, patient-centred quality care in accordance with the College of Nurses of Ontario standards and Unity Health Toronto’s mission, vision, values and policies.
The RPN optimizes the patient’s experience and care outcomes by:
• Being accountable for one’s decisions and professional practice.
• Establishing a therapeutic relationship with the patient.
• Providing autonomous nursing care with patients considered stable and with predictable outcomes.
• Collaborating with other members of the patient’s care team.
• Coordinating and communicating patient care activities to optimize the patient’s experience and care outcomes; and
• Collaborating and consulting with Registered Nurses and other members of the care team in the care of patients with increasing instability and unpredictability and, when necessary, safely transferring care to the Registered Nurse.
The RPN has 4 key areas of responsibility:
• Acquires information to assess patient care and learning needs.
• Engages patients and families to assess the level of involvement of the patient/family in their care and integrates into care planning.
• Develops a plan of care and integrates nursing activities with other inter-professional activities.
• Engages in critical inquiry and reflection to select evidence-based interventions.
• Organizes nursing care based on patient care needs and priorities.
• Continuously gathers and analyzes clinical and other relevant data to evaluate the effectiveness of the plan of care and adjusts the plan as needed.
• Anticipates and recognizes rapidly changing situations; and a patient’s transition from stable to unstable, establishes priorities; and takes immediate appropriate action to collaborate and consult with the Registered Nurse.
• Provides health education using effective teaching strategies that takes into account the patient/family’s learning needs, readiness, and motivation to learn;
• Collaborates with appropriate team members on patient care needs.
• Processes orders and seeks verification of orders from prescribers.
• Documents observations, assessments and care provision in a timely manner to facilitate a current and accurate record of the patient’s status and enable effective inter-professional communication.
• Contributes to discharge and transition planning and other planning activities to facilitate care continuity and coordination; advocates for care needs to be met in most appropriate setting; and
Collaboration & Coordination:
• Organizes patient care activities while working collaboratively with patients, families and the inter-professional team to achieve agreed-upon outcomes and optimize resource utilization for individual patients
• Establishes and maintains respectful, collaborative, therapeutic and inter-professional relationships within and across the hospital units/programs (and externally where appropriate for his/her patient population)
• Coordinates and communicates patient care activities for a safe and seamless transition from one shift or setting/unit of care to another; ensures appropriate transfer of accountability from one care provider to another
• Participates in hospital committees and other groups to represent the RPN perspective and serve as a bridge to the unit/program and patient needs
Leadership & Professional Development:
• Is accountable for his/her actions and decisions and practices in accordance with professional, legal and accreditation standards and evidence-based practice
• Aligns behavior with Unity Health Toronto’s vision, mission and values and code of conduct; promotes nursing as a knowledge-based profession; and, supports the advanced of professional practice plans and initiatives
• Engages in self-reflection, performance review and ongoing learning
• Participates in mentoring, teaching and /or coaching students, co-workers and other regulated and unregulated health professionals
• Embraces change that leads to improved nursing practice and better patient outcomes
• Advocates for a safe and healthy work environment
• Participates in or supports research projects
• Supports and participates in evidence-based practice implementation and quality improvement initiatives
- Successful completion of a Practical Nursing Diploma Program.
- Currently registered and in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario.
- Recent Medical/Surgical experience required (minimum 1-2 years).
- Current BLS Certificate required.
- Experience with IV therapy (including proficiency with IV insertion(s), cannulation, and access device maintenance) required.
- Able to monitor post-injection/infusion/transfusion treatments as well as chart and report on all activities as directed by program protocols.
- Experience in wound care and foot care (including dressings and suture removal) required. Advanced wound care course preferred.
- Experience with therapeutic phlebotomy preferred.
- Experience working in an outpatient clinic setting/ambulatory care environment preferred. Emergency and acute care experience(s) are considered assets.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills, excellent customer service skills, and the ability to function as a team player required.
- Satisfactory attendance record.
As a condition of employment, all external hires will be required to submit proof of COVID-19 vaccination or documentation unless a valid accommodation under the Ontario Human Rights Code exists. Please note, if you are extended an offer of employment, you will be required to provide proof of vaccination in Ontario QR Code format. All internal candidates must be in compliance with Unity Health Toronto’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.