Research Manager - Knowledge Translation
Job Title:Research Manager - Knowledge Translation
Site:St. Michael's Hospital
Work Type:Full-Time Temporary
Union Affiliation:Non Union
Salary Range:38.98 - 50.68
Length Of Temporary Assignment
This Field is Mandatory for Positions with a Temporary Work Type Selected*12 Months
FTE Assignment (FT=1.0, Casual =0.000001):1.0
Shift/ Hours Of Work
*Shift details must be provided for all unionized positionsTemporary Full Time
The Knowledge Translation Program (KTP) is currently looking for Research Manager to join the dynamic and growing team in a full time (1.0 FTE) position. This Research Manager will work within the fast growing Knowledge Synthesis (KS) Team within the KTP. The KS Team performs systematic reviews, as well as other types of reviews, on a variety of topics including drug safety and effectiveness, complex interventions, precision and accuracy of diagnostic tests and medical education amongst others. The incumbent will report to the Director, KTP, Dr. Sharon Straus, and with the leading KS Scientist Dr Andrea Tricco.
This position encompasses the overall responsibility for the development and implementation of strategies used in the conduct of research, development and implementation of new research within the institution, in addition to the general management of the KS Research Program. This position will be responsible for the financial management and day-to-day guidance and coordination of the KS Research Program.
- All positions must be flexible to work beyond the job description at times as work demands.
- Reports to Principal Investigator (Dr. Tricco).
Duties & Responsibilities
Includes all the duties/responsibilities of the Research Coordinator III position, as well as:
- Coordinating research grant process
- Overseeing research study budgets and payment schedules
- Generating of personnel and payroll reports
- Scheduling functions such that staffing maintained at efficient and optimal levels (including daily, vacation, and sick time coverage)
Research Activities 50%
- Initiating and developing research proposals for grants and contracts
- Initiating and developing research protocols
- Adapting research findings to the development of new research studies
- Conducting administrative and technical research
- Contributing to professional publications, presentations, and posters
- Coordinating annual performance appraisals, collecting feedback on staff performance on an ongoing basis, identifying capacity gaps in the staff and finding ways to fill the gaps through training and other initiatives
- Coordinating performance improvement plans for staff when capacity gaps are identified
- Training responsibilities and day to day guidance and coordination of Research Assistants, Coordinators, Casual Staff, and/or trainees, including ongoing updates of various research methods guidelines
- Developing and implementing policies, procedures, and standards for the Research Program
- Negotiating terms of financing with knowledge user clients (e.g., governmental organizations, research institutes)
- Developing and negotiating research agreements and strategic alliances with outside parties
- Approving allocation of funds for unfunded research projects presented to the Research Program
- Carrying out duties of principal investigator, or co-investigator in research studies as authorized by the investigator and sponsors
- In conjunction with the Office of Research Administration, reviewing of all confidentiality statements, legal disclosures, and legal documents
- Chairing research group meetings
- Planning the long-term strategy and project management for the program (projects, timelines, staffing and resource needs)
- Participating in material management, inventory management, safety management, and quality assurance
- Coordinating and contributing to the health and well-being of the staff through various mechanisms, such as monthly 1:1 check-ins and team building activities
Qualifications, Knowledge and Skills
- MSc in related discipline with minimum 5 years related experience.
- Excellent communication (verbal/written) and strong interpersonal skills are necessary.
- Excellent organizational skills to manage multiple projects in a timely manner and flexibility to adapt to changing workload.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Professionalism and self-motivation.
- Commitment to justice, equity, diversity, and inclusivity.
- Commitment to team-based science and a growth mindset.
As a condition of employment, all external hires will be required to submit proof of COVID-19 vaccination or documentation unless a valid accommodation under the Ontario Human Rights Code exists. Please note, if you are extended an offer of employment, you will be required to provide proof of vaccination in Ontario QR Code format. All internal candidates must be in compliance with Unity Health Toronto’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.